Sunday, January 20, 2008

Social Networking Websites (life beyond MySpace)

I came across a webpage:

2008 social networking websites report

as I was contenplating if there was life beyond MySpace.

Surprisingingly on this list I had not heard of Zorpia, Aol People Connection, Hi5, My Yahoo, Tickle, Everyones Connected or Backwash. What surprized me was that MySpace is still #1. I thought there would be a slide down from #1 for Myspace.

Here's the rank (all of them are free):

1. Myspace
2. Zorpia
3. Aol People Connection
4. Friendster
5. Hi5
6. My Yahoo
7. Facebook
8. Tickle
9. Everyone's Connected
10. Backwash

This ranking isn't by most popular social networking websites.

One of my favorite sites is http://www.statsaholic.com/ it allows me track trends. Let's look at some of these items on this list:




As we can see, facebook is on a rise, with myspace taking a gradual decline from it's peak in mid-year 2007.

As a side note, I've always been interested in the rise of http://www.youtube.com/ and wanted to document the growth here:



As you can see, the growth of youtube.com is such that it is catching up to myspace.com

No comments: